The Centre of Excellence in Wireless Technology (CEWiT) is an autonomous research society of IIT Madras set up with support from Ministry of Communication and IT and the Indian telecom industry. CEWiT’s vision is to provide technological leadership to the Indian wireless industry and address the needs of the Indian market through advanced R&D and value creation. CEWiT works as a neutral partner to industry stakeholders and policy makers on various technological aspects of the wireless communication industry. The Center has several experts in the Radio access technologies, specifically focusing on latest wireless and mobile technologies.
Today wireless research is moving rapidly beyond 3G and 4G technologies towards 5G technologies, which are required to satisfy the rapidly growing broadband wireless needs of large populations around the globe. CEWiT conducts research in 5G technologies and participates in global standardization. It is engaging very closely with academic and industry research groups in India to focus on areas with strong potential for contribution to global standards while keeping in mind operator requirements and usage scenarios.
CEWiT with its vast knowledge and experience base provides consultancy and technical services to Telecom companies in India in the areas of 4G technologies like LTE and LTE-Advanced and the upcoming 5G technologies. It has built simulators and test beds which benefit the industry in its R&D and capacity building activities. CEWiT plays a key role in building a dynamic wireless R&D ecosystem in India.
Our Vision is to provide technological leadership to the Indian wireless industry and address the needs of the Indian market through advanced R&D and value creation.
We target to achieve the above stated Vision by:
- Conducting advanced research in Wireless technologies.
- Understanding and consolidating Indian wireless market requirements through regular consultation with Industry stakeholders and to project them in global standards forums.
- Developing solutions for addressing the near and far-term technological challenges related to wireless communications.
- Enabling Indian companies to design, develop and manufacture world class wireless products, and help them leverage the intellectual assets gained through advanced research.
- Being a trusted neutral partner to industry stakeholders and policy makers on various technological aspects of wireless communication industry.
- Collaborating with academia and R&D institutions in furtherance of the above mission.